Oblivion Crashes on Startup? Here’s how to fix it.
Oblivion is one of the most popular games on the market. It’s an open world RPG game that has a lot of content to explore and play with friends. However, it also has some problems that can make the game unplayable for players.
The oblivion crashing on startup windows 10 is a problem that many users are experiencing. This article will explain how to fix it.
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion breaks on startup every time you attempt to play it, and you can’t even get to the main menu. This may be aggravating. Don’t be concerned. One of the techniques listed below may be used to resolve the issue.
You may try each of the seven techniques listed below until you discover one that works best for you.
Method 1: Use compatibility mode to play the game. Method 2: Remove the problematic modifications from the Oblivion.ini file Method 3: Delete the Oblivion.ini file Disable background services (method 5) Update DirectX (method 4) Method 6: If you have several displays, use this method. Update device drivers (method 7)
Method 1: Use compatibility mode to play the game.
You may try running Oblivion in Windows XP (Service Pack 3) or Windows XP (Service Pack 2) to solve the crashing on startup issue (Service Pack 2). To do so, follow these steps:
1) From the context menu, right-click on the game shortcut and choose Properties.
2) Select the Compatibility tab from the drop-down menu. In the Compatibility mode section, choose Windows XP (Service Pack 2) from the drop-down menu and check the box next to Run this application in compatibility mode for. If Windows XP (Service Pack 2) isn’t working, try Windows XP (Service Pack 1). (Service Pack 3).
3) To save the changes, click Apply -> OK.
4) Check to see whether the game can be played without crashing.
Continue to Method 2 if Method 1 doesn’t work for you.
Method 2: Remove the Oblivion.ini file from your computer.
Some Oblivion gamers have claimed that removing the Oblivion.ini file fixed the issue. So you may test it out. Any beneficial modifications you’ve made will be lost if you remove the Oblivion.ini file.
If you’re confident in your abilities, you may go to the Oblivion.ini file in the following folder and remove it.
Your username is the name of your account. DocumentsMyGamesOblivion
Relaunch the game after deleting the file to verify whether the issue still exists.
Method 3: Disable the modifications that are causing issues.
Oblivion may crash on startup if any of the modifications you installed are missing the necessary master files. To find out which modifications are causing issues, utilize the third-party mod manager Wrye Bash. The issue modifications will be highlighted in red in Wrye Bash. You can easily locate them.
After you’ve identified the problematic modifications, uninstall them and restart the game to see whether the issue continues.
Method 4: Update DirectX
DirectX may be missing updated d3dx9 revision files, resulting in crashes immediately after launch. You may try upgrading DirectX to the newest version to solve the issue.
Open this Microsoft link to get the most recent version of DirectX for your machine. After the download is complete, double-click the downloaded file and install DirectX by following the on-screen instructions.
Method 5: Disable background services
Background services may eat up system resources, causing Oblivion to crash when it starts up. You may turn off background services to free up resources and see if the issue goes away.
Here’s how to go about it:
1) To open the Run box, press Win+R (the Windows logo key and the R key) at the same time on your keyboard.
2) In the Run box, type “msconfig” and click OK. The System Configuration window will appear after that.
3) Select Selective Startup from the General menu, then uncheck Load startup items.
4) On the Services tab, choose Hide all Microsoft services from the drop-down menu, then click Disable all.
5) Select Open Task Manager from the Startup menu.
6) Select one item in the Task Manager whose “Status is Enabled” and click the Disable button. Rep this process until all startup items have been disabled.
7) Return to the System Configuration dialog box.
8) To save the changes, click Apply -> OK.
9) Restart your computer and open Oblivion to test whether the crashing issue is still there. If the issue does not appear, it is very certainly caused by one or more third-party applications. In such scenario, follow the procedures below to identify the applications that are causing the issue.
1) Return to the System Configuration window.
2) Navigate to the Services tab.
3) Enable five services at once (which were disabled in the above steps).
4) Restart your computer to check whether the issue has been fixed.
5) Repeat steps 1-4 until you identify a group of five services that are causing the issue. Then look at each one one by one to see which one is creating the issue.
6) Repeat Steps 1–6 for Startup programs to determine which startup program is causing the issue.
Method 6: If you have several displays, use this method.
Multiple displays may be affected by the crashing issue. If you have several displays, it’s a good idea to turn off all except your main monitor.
If you have an Nvidia graphics card, you may deactivate displays by following these steps:
1) Press the Windows logo key on your keyboard.
2) In the search box, type “nvidia” and choose Nvidia Control Panel from the list of results.
3) Expand the Display tab in the Nvidia Control Panel and choose Set up multiple screens. Unselect all monitors except the main one on the right side.
Follow these instructions if you have an AMD/ATI graphics card:
1) Press the Windows logo key on your keyboard.
2) In the search box, type “amd” and choose AMD Catalyst Control Center from the list of results.
3) Select Display Management from the AMD Catalyst Control Center after it has opened.
4) Remove all monitors save the main one from the list.
TIP: You may use the instructions in this page to determine what graphics card you have.
Update device drivers (method 7)
To guarantee a smooth start of Oblivion, make sure your device drivers, particularly the sound drivers, are up to current.
If you don’t have the time or computer abilities to manually update the drivers, Driver Easy can do it for you.
You don’t need to validate your computer model or Windows version to get the proper drivers using Driver Easy. Even if you don’t have much computer knowledge, you can update drivers with a few clicks.
1) On your computer, download and install Driver Easy Free.
2) Open the program and choose Scan Now to identify any problematic drivers on your computer. A list of drivers that may be updated will appear.
3) Next to a driver, click the Update button, and the driver will be downloaded immediately. After the download is complete, follow the Driver Easy step-by-step instructions to install the driver.
If you have the Pro version, you may use the Update All button to automatically update all drivers. Furthermore, you will get full assistance as well as a 30-day money back guarantee.
After you’ve updated all of your drivers, restart your computer to ensure that the updates take effect, then reopen Oblivion to see whether the issue still exists.
I hope you found the information in this post useful. Please leave a remark below if you have any queries. I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Oblivion crashing windows 10 is a common issue that many people face. The oblivion crashing windows 10 can be fixed by using the following fixes:
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I stop Oblivion from crashing on startup?
Oblivion is crashing on startup? This can be caused by a number of different issues. We recommend that you try the following troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue:
How do I fix a game crash on startup?
Please follow the instructions below for your specific issue.
How do you alt tab in Oblivion?
Alt-tabbing is a method of switching between two programs in Windows. This can be done by pressing the alt key and tab on your keyboard, or with a combination of the control and alt keys.
- oblivion crashing on startup with mods
- oblivion keeps crashing on startup
- oblivion crash on startup no mods
- oblivion enb crash on startup
- oblivion won’t launch